Today is Monday, February 19, 2018
and inexpensive agape ideas . . . from The Upper Room Discussion Group . . .
- Rainbow mechanical pencils: Write this down: Jesus Loves You!" or "Jesus
has signed your heart with his blood."
- Lighters or matches and a candle: "You are the light of
- Mending kits: "God fixes everything."
- Soap bubbles: "Let God's love bubble over in you!"
- Jigsaw puzzle pieces either hot glued to a pin back or a card
(You can put a piece of magnet strip on the back of the card for a fridge
put it all together for you." Or "Puzzled? Talk to God." Or "Don't
let Jesus be your missing piece!" or "If life is a puzzle, turn to
the Lord." Or "Now I know in part, then I shall know fully. 1 Corinthians
- One-inch wooden disc with clothespin glued to front and a piece
of magnet tape on back of clothespin. Decorate disc with a sticker or leave
can hold it all together!"
- Little notebooks or note pads. "Write this down: Jesus
- Small calendars (wallet size are good): "I am with you
- Seed packages: "Grow in Christ."
- Life Savers: "Jesus is the real life saver!"
- Small rulers: "Measure your life in Christ." Or "Jesus
- Emory board or small piece of sand paper on a card: "Jesus
can smooth away all our rough edges!"
- Nail on a card. "Need an eternal fix? Try John 3:16."
- Butterfly anything: "God changes things."
- Diaper pin: "God can change even the worst of things."
- Earth magnet or pins or erasers: "Jesus: Don't leave earth
- Maps or compasses: "Jesus is the way" or "Lost? Talk to God" or "Need
directions? Talk to the Father." Or "Lost? Follow the Son."
- Magnifying glass: "See everything clearly with Christ" or "Let
your faith be magnified." Or "If they dusted your Bible for fingerprints,
would they find any fresh ones? Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light
to my path. Psalm 119:105."
- Small bars of soap: "God can make all things clean."
- Dinosaur eggs (the little
capsules that hatch a dinosaur when soaked in hot water) or small plastic
figures: Even when God was dealing with these guys, He was thinking of
You! Card should include hatching directions if you use the capsules.
- Emergency rain ponchos: "When life gives you rain, God
gives you rainbows!"
- Safety pin with brightly colored beads on it: "God will
help you hold it all together."
- Yo-yos: "God will be there though all your ups and downs."
- Rock. Write "Jesus is the rock" and draw a cross
on the rock.
- Duct tape and nail. Put a small piece of duct tape on a card.
Then put a nail through the card as if you were pinning something to it.
On card write: "Men
fix everything with duct tape. God used his son."
- Penny hot glued to a card. "Jesus just makes 'cents'"
- Runts candies in a small bag. "The fruits of the spirit
- Paper clip chain made of brightly colored paper clips or several
brightly colored paper clips hanging on an earring hoop: "Genesis 9:13"
- Foam heart glued to a card: "Give your heart to Jesus." Or
any heart verse.
- Candy conversation hearts: "These go in your tummy. Put
Jesus in your heart."
- Teddy bear stickers or very small (1/2 inch) teddy bears or
gummy bears. "God's
love bears all."
- Erasers: "Jesus erased all your sins."
- Key chain: "Let Jesus be the key to your life" or "Put
God in the driver's seat."
- Shoe horns: "For a perfect fit every time, try Jesus."
- Bookmarks with the Order of Reunion printed on them.
- Disposable razors: "God will get you out of even the hairiest
- Earplugs: "For all those times when noise is not so joyful."
- Atomic fireballs: "Get fired up for Christ!"
- Smiley face anything: "Smile. God loves you."
- Small plastic or balsa wood planes or miniature kites: "Fly
high with Christ."
- Band aid on card: "Christ heals all."
- Small jars or pots made from Play Dough and hardened. "Put
yourself in the potter's hands."
- Finger traps: "Submit to Christ and be free." You
may want to explain on the card that the finger trap will hold you as long
as you struggle and
- Hand held fans: cut a large heart from card stock or other
paper and tape this to a pencil. Print on heart before cutting and taping: "Join
the Jesus fan club."
- Golf tees taped to a card: "Jesus will always fit your
needs to a tee!"
- Airhead candy: "Don't be an airhead! Listen to Jesus!"
- Kool Aid packages: "Let Jesus be the cool aid in your
- Hershey kiss(es) on a card: "A good night kiss for you. Sleep in peace
as God watches over you" or "An honest answer is like a kiss on the
lips." Proverbs 24:26 or with 2 kisses "Angel kisses."
- A mint taped to a card: "Jesus is 'mint' for you."
- Small piece of sponge attached to a card: "Soak up God's
- Gum, caramel, starburst candy, tootsie roll or other chewy
Jesus" or "Choose this day whom you will serve." Joshua 2:4-15
- Now and Later candy: "Jesus Now and Later."
- Q-tip taped to a card: "Open our ears, Lord. We want to
- Small plastic frogs: "FROG: Fully relying on God."
- Little fake wedding bands (wedding section of a craft store): "You
are the bride of Christ."
- Gold Fish crackers: "Come follow me and I will make you fishers of
men." Matthew 4:19
- Small back scratchers: "God
always has a hand for you!"
- Skittles candies: "Taste the rainbow of God's love."
- Small bottles of drinking water: "Drink the eternal water
- Alka seltzers: "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, Oh, what a relief
- Rolaids glued to a card that says: "Jesus spells relief."
- Brightly colored toothpicks or a brightly colored guitar pick
attached to a card: "Pick Jesus."
- Equal package: "Nothing equals Jesus!"
- Picture of a cell phone. Photocopy picture on paper and color
with bright colors: "Call on God. Unlimited free anytime access."
- Small packages of tissues: "God will take your tears and
make an ocean."
- Gold wrapped chocolate coins: His love is more precious than
- Corks or fishing bobbers: God's love is unsinkable.
- Small match box-size cars: "Put God in the driver's seat."
- Individual Shout stain removers: "Shout to the Lord."
- Bit of Honey or fast food size honey package: Psalm 19:10
- Tea bag: "No teas-sing, Jesus Loves you."
- Cream Savers: You are the cream of the crop. Let Jesus be your Life Savior.
- Empty brown paper lunch bag with a business-size card inside.
Card reads: "Feed
my Sheep. John 21:17 — In honor of your walk to Emmaus, a donation has
been made to (a soup kitchen, food pantry, lunch program, whatever you decide).
Today, because of your walk, some of his sheep have been fed."
- Glue stick: "Stick with Christ."
- Small cross, covered with glitter on a card: "Shine Jesus
- Small pocket size mirrors: "Let Christ be reflected in
- Letter openers: "God opens up a whole new world of possibilities."
- Toy watches: "God has all the time in the world for you." Or "Ecclesiastes
- Nerd candies: "Only nerds don't love Jesus!" or "Jesus
even loves nerds."
- Small plastic or feather birds (floral section of craft store): "Matthew
- Toy paratroopers (party favors): "Let Jesus be your parachute."
- Small wedding or cowbells: "Ring out! The Lord is near!"
- Individually wrapped hand wipes: "Jesus makes all things
- Plastic weighted ducks (the type used in carnival games): "Life
with Christ is just ducky!"
- One-hundred dollar bill note pads: "In one person's hands, just a few
bills paid. In another person's hands, a fortune to be made. A life in man's
hands, just biology on earth. A life in Christ's hands, eternal re-birth." Or "Christ
has paid your debt in full!"
- Mini-frisbees or spinning tops: "I may not always know where I'm going,
but the one I'm following does. ‘The Lord will guide you always.’ Isaiah
- Whistle: "Whistle while you work Whatever you do, work
at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians
- Miniature clothes pins (doll house size) clipped to a card
that (ideally) has a graphic of something hanging on a clothes line: "Hang
your troubles on the Lord and He will sustain you. Psalm 55:22a"
- Thin rainbow ribbon tied to a paper clip and clipped to a card. "Clip
this to page 48 in your pilgrim's guide."
- Graphic of a grouchy looking or crying person (ideally a cartoon-looking
picture) on a small laminated card with a piece of magnet tape on back. "It's a
fact — No one crashes a pity party. ‘I am greatly encouraged, in
all our troubles joy knows no bounds.’ 2 Corinthians 7:4"
- Recipe card with Bible
cake recipe on it on one side and "Live, Breathe,
and Eat his word” printed on the other.
- Fishing bobber: "Don't
let things pull you down." Matthew 6:25-34
- WWJD bracelets or pins, PUSH bracelets or pins, FROG bracelets
or pins or brightly colored nylon bracelets. Tag these with "Adorn yourself
- Unsharpened pencils: "Without Christ, life is pointless."
- Milky Way candy bars: "He had a universe to choose from,
but God chose you."
- Pill bottle: outside label Rx from: The Great physician/ Dosage: Daily or
as needed Active Ingredient: Holy Spirit /Refills: Unlimited/Amount due: Debt
paid in full by Jesus Christ. Fill the bottle with paper strips on which your
have printed a variety of Bible verses.
- Large fishing hook hot
glued to a pin back (You may want to use wire cutters to cutoff the barb.
). Glue or dangle a fish on which you
have printed Jesus
from the point: "I'm hooked on Jesus." Or "Be fishers of
plastic babies (craft store, baby shower section) glued to a strip of cardstock
wider the baby. On card stock, print "Born again." Glue card to a pin back.
- CD labeled to say: "Jesus Christ Eternity free." Add
graphics such as a dove or across. You can get these in a variety of colors.
- Baseball trinkets: "No outs. All safe with Christ" or "Hit
a home run with Christ."
seed glued to a piece of cardstock: "A little
faith goes a long way. Matthew 17:20.